Establishing the amount of child support in a divorce case can be complicated and contentious, and the same goes for enforcing the payment of support months or years after the ink has dried on your divorce decree. In both situations, you want to have an attorney who fully understands the importance and challenges involved in child support and has the experience and skill to make sure you and your children get what they need and deserve.
Choosing a child support attorney doesn’t have to be difficult, but it should involve some research and careful thought on your part. When looking for a lawyer to handle your child support issues, consider asking potential candidates the following questions:
- What kind of experience do you have handling child support cases?
- What are the potential outcomes of my child support issues?
- Will you personally handle my matter or will you hand it off to another attorney in your office?
- What are your billing rates?
- Can you give me an estimate of the total cost to resolve my child support issues?
- What is your strategy and approach to child support issues?
- Do you have experience enforcing child support obligations, including experience with the Colorado Department of Human Services’ Division of Child Support Services?
As important as any question you ask a child support attorney is one question you need to ask yourself: “Do I trust and feel comfortable with this lawyer?”
Trust is the cornerstone of any good attorney-client relationship, especially in personal, sensitive, and important matters such as divorce and child support. You want to have confidence in your lawyer’s word as well as their abilities, and should feel comfortable asking questions and expressing your concerns. If you meet with a lawyer who appears to be in a hurry to end your conversation or seems distant or disinterested, that should be a sign to look for another lawyer.
You can supplement your personal meetings with online research about child support lawyers, including testimonials and reviews, as well as the information on the lawyer’s website. All of this can take some time, but when you understand that choosing the right child support lawyer can have a huge impact on your child’s life, you’ll understand that it is time well spent.
If you’re a parent going through a divorce, nothing is more important than the welfare and well-being of your children. This includes making sure that they have the resources to grow and thrive, and making sure that your spouse contributes their fair share. If your divorce proceeding has come and gone, your spouse still needs to meet their child support obligations and be held accountable if they fail or refuse to do so.