If you are looking for a family law attorney to represent you in a divorce or to handle other important family law issues, it is important to keep in mind the fact that you are hiring someone to work for you. In fact, you are hiring someone who will be responsible for addressing some of the most important issues you will ever face in your life. This is not a decision to be rushed or taken lightly.
You should treat your initial meetings with any Colorado Springs family law attorneys you are considering hiring as if you were conducting a job interview. Get a sense of them and how they approach family law cases. Find out what you can expect during the course of your attorney-client relationship. Most importantly, ask questions. Here are some questions that can help you learn whether the family law attorney you are speaking with is right for you:
- How long have you been practicing law here in Colorado Springs?
- How much of your practice is focused on family law?
- Do you handle other kinds of cases?
- How long have you been doing family law work?
- Will any other attorneys be working on my case or just you?
- How many open family cases do you have right now?
- How many hearings or trials on family law matters have you had in the past year?
- Do you represent both men and women? Why or why not?
- Do you require an up-front retainer, and if so, how much is it?
- How often will you bill me?
- How long after I am billed before payment is due?
- Do you take credit cards or offer a payment plan?
- How much do you estimate my family law will cost?
- What are the terms of the fee agreement?
- How long will it be before my matter reaches completion?
- If I need to reach you urgently and you are not available to take my call, do you have someone else who will be able to speak with me? If not, how long will it take you to return my call?
After you have conducted your interviews and received answers to your questions, hopefully you will have found a family law attorney who you trust and feel comfortable with; one whose experience and abilities inspire a sense of confidence and bring you peace of mind.